National - New Proposed Hurling Structure

If this is the proposed structure, it is an absolute disaster for the development of hurling. I think the provincial championships have run their course. I would love an unseeded knockout championship of 16 teams. Kilkenny, Tipperary, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Limerick, Dublin, Clare, Wexford, Antrim, Laois, Offaly, Carlow, Kerry, Westmeath and Meath. First team out of the hat gets a home draw in both last 16 and quarter final draws. Semi finals and final played in Croke Park. With a fortunate draw you could have an Offaly or a Limerick or a Dublin getting to all ireland semi final. You could have Tipp v KK in the last 16 knockout! I know people will say it's less games, but it could really liven up the league as well. Win the right to be classed in the top 16 for championship based on league standings. Have 4 divisions of 8, two up two down. Imagine the top 2 in division 3 will get to play in all ireland and be 4 games away from Liam!

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts:24 - 14/05/2017 03:23:31   1986509

Link

It's a reasonable stab at a format. I would like to see the group's being mixed every few years with Munster teams playing Leinster teams. It also doesn't factor in the fact that the Munster teams will have come through a tougher group than the Leinster teams.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts:564 - 14/05/2017 15:23:14   1986575

Link

With much publicity about the Munster 5 and Leinster 5 round robin groups in the AI SHC, I would have preferred to see mixed province groups - say 3 Munster teams in Group A and the other 2 in B.
These groups could be 'formed', not drawn, as 8 Prov Championship KO matches are incorporated.
Say, put Lein QF winner in A, their SF/QF opponents in B;
Put Muns QF winner in B, their SF/QF opponents in A; and 
Finally, put two other SF winners in the group opposite their Final/SF opponents.
The group phase could continue so the 5 in A play the 5 in B (5x5, 25 group matches).
To avoid repeat pairings in the AI KO phase - SF1 has 1st in A v QF winner from 2nd v 3rd in A.
As most of the 25 match victories could be in one group, I would have the best 6 of 10 advancing with intra -group KO pairings as much as possible.
Would this be better ?

omahant (USA) - Posts:987 - 14/05/2017 16:39:21   1986585

Link

Is there proposals to upgrade stadiums. Clare's Cusack park and Waterfords Walsh park aren't good enough to host Munster championship matches at the moment. Clare haven't hosted Munster championship since 1993!

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts:564 - 14/05/2017 17:41:58   1986597

Link

Replying To omahant:  "With much publicity about the Munster 5 and Leinster 5 round robin groups in the AI SHC, I would have preferred to see mixed province groups - say 3 Munster teams in Group A and the other 2 in B.
These groups could be 'formed', not drawn, as 8 Prov Championship KO matches are incorporated.
Say, put Lein QF winner in A, their SF/QF opponents in B;
Put Muns QF winner in B, their SF/QF opponents in A; and 
Finally, put two other SF winners in the group opposite their Final/SF opponents.
The group phase could continue so the 5 in A play the 5 in B (5x5, 25 group matches).
To avoid repeat pairings in the AI KO phase - SF1 has 1st in A v QF winner from 2nd v 3rd in A.
As most of the 25 match victories could be in one group, I would have the best 6 of 10 advancing with intra -group KO pairings as much as possible.
Would this be better ?"
No

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts:430 - 15/05/2017 00:37:58   1986709

Link

I would love it if this proposal was to come true. There would be some top class quality hurling played then. Also Galway would finally get a home game or two which they deserve and the supporters deserve.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts:310 - 16/05/2017 23:33:17   1987354

Link

Today's game is one of several reasons why the new proposals are BS.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts:1581 - 21/05/2017 18:01:14   1988875

Link