National - New Proposed Hurling Structure

The Ger Loughnane article is just something Ger Loughnane wrote 2 years ago, thats not what the GAA are basing their hurling proposals on. Journalists have opinions, thats not the driving force behind these new proposals.

On the other source, it states "Based on the feedback received, the CCCC established three obligations that must be met in formulating its proposals: i.the retention of the provincial senior championships"
You can read into that what you like, but that's preserving both provincial championships. But if you read on through that statement, its the most thrown together things your likely to see. Look at the U21 section, talk about half-baked.

Remember, this isn't a new proposal. It was suggested a few years ago, and mostly rejected, although it did lead to the Leinster development group phase. But this is just something they yoinked from the filing cabinet when people started raising concerns about hurling, in the wake of the football super-8 proposals. There's no Machiavellian plot from Munster here, its far too lazy for that. This is just a reactionary token gesture, that hasn't been thought out.

But look, we're probably talking around in circles, and making the same points. For what its worth, I never thought it was fair that Leinster was being treated as a 'rest of Ireland" solution, while Munster was left alone. I think if they go forward with the provincial system, Munster needs to shoulder the burden with Leinster, of facilitating the latest sticking patch the GAA foists upon hurling, for including developing counties in the AI series. And I do think, unfortunately, the provincial system is no longer fit for purpose as it is, and these new proposals will not improve that.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts:1609 - 20/07/2017 16:26:33   2020096

Link

Replying To Marlon_JD:  "The Ger Loughnane article is just something Ger Loughnane wrote 2 years ago, thats not what the GAA are basing their hurling proposals on. Journalists have opinions, thats not the driving force behind these new proposals.

On the other source, it states "Based on the feedback received, the CCCC established three obligations that must be met in formulating its proposals: i.the retention of the provincial senior championships"
You can read into that what you like, but that's preserving both provincial championships. But if you read on through that statement, its the most thrown together things your likely to see. Look at the U21 section, talk about half-baked.

Remember, this isn't a new proposal. It was suggested a few years ago, and mostly rejected, although it did lead to the Leinster development group phase. But this is just something they yoinked from the filing cabinet when people started raising concerns about hurling, in the wake of the football super-8 proposals. There's no Machiavellian plot from Munster here, its far too lazy for that. This is just a reactionary token gesture, that hasn't been thought out.

But look, we're probably talking around in circles, and making the same points. For what its worth, I never thought it was fair that Leinster was being treated as a 'rest of Ireland" solution, while Munster was left alone. I think if they go forward with the provincial system, Munster needs to shoulder the burden with Leinster, of facilitating the latest sticking patch the GAA foists upon hurling, for including developing counties in the AI series. And I do think, unfortunately, the provincial system is no longer fit for purpose as it is, and these new proposals will not improve that."
Agreed, we're going in circles.

Interesting last point there though as to Leinster being the rest of Ireland championship and Munster sharing the burden. I think given the overall strength in Munster, and the fact that it was only Galway and Antrim outside of Leinster and Munster and Kilkenny's utter dominance in Leinster, they idea behind the rest of Ireland championship was originally a good one. Leinster has benefitted by it for the most part. The problem there was that with the increased number of teams and the round robin, there actually wasn't much time in Leinster for the clubs.

Agree completely about the provincial championship not being fit for purpose at the highest level, with the qualifiers now in place teams simply don't know if they'll be playing or when they'll be playing. God forbid there's a draw involved, which could throw any number of teams and county/club schedules off course altogether.

I honestly think removing the provincials as a separate cup competition would be a much better option, and have a champions league style competition as the main championship structure with an even number of games for everyone. The provincials were based on knockout only, the backdoor diminishes that greatly for me.

dblackandamber (Kilkenny) - Posts:80 - 20/07/2017 17:23:03   2020146

Link

Replying To dblackandamber:  "[quote=Marlon_JD:  "The Ger Loughnane article is just something Ger Loughnane wrote 2 years ago, thats not what the GAA are basing their hurling proposals on. Journalists have opinions, thats not the driving force behind these new proposals.

But look, we're probably talking around in circles, and making the same points. For what its worth, I never thought it was fair that Leinster was being treated as a 'rest of Ireland" solution, while Munster was left alone. I think if they go forward with the provincial system, Munster needs to shoulder the burden with Leinster, of facilitating the latest sticking patch the GAA foists upon hurling, for including developing counties in the AI series. And I do think, unfortunately, the provincial system is no longer fit for purpose as it is, and these new proposals will not improve that."
Agreed, we're going in circles.

Interesting last point there though as to Leinster being the rest of Ireland championship and Munster sharing the burden. I think given the overall strength in Munster, and the fact that it was only Galway and Antrim outside of Leinster and Munster and Kilkenny's utter dominance in Leinster, they idea behind the rest of Ireland championship was originally a good one. Leinster has benefitted by it for the most part. The problem there was that with the increased number of teams and the round robin, there actually wasn't much time in Leinster for the clubs.

Agree completely about the provincial championship not being fit for purpose at the highest level, with the qualifiers now in place teams simply don't know if they'll be playing or when they'll be playing. God forbid there's a draw involved, which could throw any number of teams and county/club schedules off course altogether.

I honestly think removing the provincials as a separate cup competition would be a much better option, and have a champions league style competition as the main championship structure with an even number of games for everyone. The provincials were based on knockout only, the backdoor diminishes that greatly for me."]Does my inclusion of Prov KO matches in the group stage not kill two birds with one stone (see earlier above) ?

omahant (USA) - Posts:1019 - 21/07/2017 13:59:28   2020563

Link